Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 6 Sunday 6.26.11

Today was pretty chill. Thank goodness! I woke up with a sore throat and weakness throughout my whole body. I think I must have caught something from one of the children at little AHOPE yesterday. My best guess is that it was from Joseph (pronounced Yoseph), the little 5 month old baby I held for a good bit yesterday. I think it’s a small price to pay to feel a little under the weather in order to spread some love and care to a baby that needs it.


After breakfast we all got ready to go to church. Today was the first day I was able to actually shave my legs. What a luxury it was! My legs feel awesome! It’s rare when we have running water. For church we went to our translator Sammy’s church. Surafel, Kat, Tiffany, and their friend sammy came with us as well. I’ve noticed there are a lot of Sammys here... and Selams. Selam is also their word for hello. Goodbye is chaio.


Church was wonderful! I didn’t understand a lick of it besides Hallelujah and Amen. Sammy sings in his church with a choir behind him. He’s the worship leader. I looked around the room watching all the people praising and singing to the same God that I praise and know. Such a beautiful sight and experience. Seeing worship in another culture is absolutely beautiful. Worship was about an hour long and then the sermon was about and hour and a half. A woman was the speaker and preached on 2 Kings 4:1-7 and then Acts 4:?. Since I don’t understand Amharic, I just read all of 2 Kings 4. I don’t think I realized or really knew the whole story about Elijah and how much of a tool he was for God’s work here on earth. I need to do some more research on him.... note to self.


During church I started to feel worse getting chills and aches throughout my body. After church was over some of the little kids came up to us (who weren’t already on the bus) and gave us hugs. That is one thing over here that I love. The people here are SO affectionate. You will see men holding hands together and women holding hands together. Holding hands is a sign of friendship. Pals. Best buds. It’s also apparently good luck to them to touch Americans (or foreingi sp?, which means white foreigner).... or at least among the children. That’s why they come and swarm around us when we visit the orphanages. Of course that’s not the only reason why they swarm us. They crave love and to be held and touched.


When we all got on the bus we headed to a restaurant called Antique. I wasn’t very hungry since I wasn’t feeling well. I was in my denial phase of admitting that something was wrong with me, but knew I was heading down south quick. I was quiet most of the day just for that fact. After lunch we got coffee at Kaldi’s, where we went our second day we arrived here. It was packed! A few of us wanted to go to an internet cafe afterwards because the times we had been able to stop by one, our time was rushed. So some of us were dropped off at the house while some of us went to the internet cafe. It was good for me to be able to write at least the rest of day one into my blog for everyone to be “updated” and at the same time not be rushed. I felt as thought I had accomplished a lot.


We came back to the house afterwards and chilled out. A bunch of us piled in the living room chatting and I went to take a nap in hopes to perk up some from this sickness. By this time everyone knew I was sick. Later Danielle woke me up, because Summer (the woman in charge of Project 61 in Korah) was coming to talk to us about what we were going to be doing this next week. Summer has been here for exactly one year. She moved here with her husband and three little boys, to help with the orphans in Korah. They are from Oklahoma.


Before they got here we devised a plan with the whoopie cushion for when Summer got here. Again, we pull out the whoopie cushion. It’s been a big hit with the team and we have yet to bring them to the children. Ha! We even went through several practice runs with our final plan, which was to have me let one go under my blanket and then rush “to the bathroom” and let a few more loud one’s rip in the hallway. When Summer came she brought 3 other girls with her. More audience for the show I guess. They all introduced themselves and a little bit about how they ended up doing what they do. Summer went into explaining the orphanage/school called Project 61 and by the time she was almost done I was getting glances from everyone around me wondering when I was going to put on the show.


I finally got to an appropriate moment and let some air out while I coughed.... Heh heh! It sounded LEGIT! and rushed to the “restroom”. They looked a bit like they didn’t know whether to laugh or ignore it. Awkward!.... and HILARIOUS! Michael tried to explain that I had some bad milk or something. I think they were a bit concerned. Mission Accomplished.

0 comments:

Post a Comment