Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day 12 Saturday, July 2nd 2011

Got to sleep in till 10. It was AWSOME! We all needed it..... or at least I did for sure. We treated ourselves to french toast for breakfast after having a full week.

We used this day to relax, really. Not much happened. We did go to the W.A.R. (Women At Risk) factory again to show the other teammates, and then go to "Home Depot" to get supplies for the factory project this next week. But Home Depot is closed Saturday and Sunday apparently, so we ended up not doing that.

We went to get lunch instead at Island Breeze. I got a chicken quesadilla. It was SO good! Just what I needed, something that actually tasted good to me. I really haven't been all that impressed with food here. Only a couple of things. Lunch took foooorevvvver! The power at Island Breeze kept going out and coming back on. Very common for that to happen around here. The city runs on Hydro-electricity, so when it doesn't rain for awhile the power is likely to go out. It rained Friday early morning but hasn't since then. It's their rainy season so it's expected to rain pretty much everyday.

After lunch we went to the internet cafe and then back to the house again just to chill. Michael, Christy, Emily,Hannah and I walked down to the little shop down the street to get a few groceries. I got a couple of mango juice packets to chill in the refrigerator and drink for later. They ended up not tasting that great, but they satisfied the sweet tooth for a little while. You can't really find many sweet things here. Ethiopians don't really like sugar or sweets. My personal opinion?.... They haven't found out how to make good sweets yet. I got a few Ethiopian chocolate candies to try and see what they would taste like.... expecting to like at least some of them. Big mistake. No wonder they don't like sweets! All of them were bad. I looked a little closer at the wrappers.... and read "Chocolate flavored...." yeah, all the chocolate over here is pretty much fake chocolate wax. gross.

Left overs were for dinner. Then I wrote in my journal and went to bed. It was the perfect relaxing day.

Emily, Christy, and I relaxing on the "comfy couch" in the guest house living room.

0 comments:

Post a Comment